Adjustable Tables and Desks
- Two wheelchair-friendly Windows workstations on height-adjustable tables are located adjacent to the Popular Reading area on the main floor of the library. Workstations are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to all students, but students with disabilities will be given priority.
- There are also adjustable tables on the second and third floors of the library. Please refer to this map for detailed locations. The tables adjust to full standing height and are power operated by buttons on the right side of the table.
- We have drinking fountains on the ground through third floors that are wheelchair accessible.
- Our main entrance faces south towards the entrance to campus and includes a power-assisted door.
- Our back entrance faces north towards Burson Hall (on the ground level back side of the building) has a ramp and power-assisted door.
- We have several elevators that serve different areas of the library. One elevator, located in close proximity to the Library Atrium, serves the ground floor through the third floor of the library.
- The two tower elevators, part of the original library tower constructed in the 1960s, are smaller and provide service from the ground floor through the tenth floor. They do not easily accommodate the average size wheelchairs but can be used by smaller mobility devices.
We have two study rooms on the second floor (rooms 205 and 209) that are family-friendly. Parents can bring their children in while studying. Advanced registration through the group study reservation system is required to reserve either room.
Our lactation room is located on the ground floor in room G38 for nursing mothers. Learn more about how to access the lactation room.
Accessible restrooms are located on the ground floor, first floor, and second floor of the library.
- Ground floor accessible restrooms are located near the compact shelving graduate and silent study room.
- First floor accessible restrooms are located in the hallway behind the Information and Research Desk and near the vending machines.
- Second floor accessible restrooms are located across from Area 49.
All gender restrooms are located on the ground floor, and tower floors five, six, seven, eight, and ten.
Restrooms with changing tables: Men's & Women's restrooms on second floor in Area 49 - across from Whiteboard Wall & T3.
Rooms and Spaces
Assistive Technology Room
Atkins 101-C is located on the main floor of the library near the Information and Research Desk. UNC Charlotte students registered with the Office of Disability Services are given priority over other users. To register with the Office of Disability Services, go to 230 Fretwell or call 704-687-4355.
If you would like to reserve the room, make a reservation through the group study reservation system. Please come to the Information and Research Desk or contact us at 704-687-0491 if you have any problems.
Equipment included in 101-C:
- Two Windows computers on adjustable-height tables with large-print keyboards and headsets with microphones
- Two desktop video magnifiers
- QuadJoy sip-n-puff computer mouse
Software on workstations:
- Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech to text and allows user to use voice commands)
- JAWS for Windows (screen reading software)
- Read and Write Gold
Study rooms and quiet spaces
Study rooms are available that students can reserve online through our reservation system. We also have quiet study places on the first floor (the Graduate and Silent Study Reading Room), and on the ground floor in the compact shelving area. If you want a completely quiet study experience, we have noise-cancelling headphones that you can check out at the Information and Research Desk on the first floor, and at the Area 49 Desk on the second floor. Free earbuds are also available at the Information and Research Desk.
We welcome service animals in the library. Please make sure that your service animal is vaccinated and registered according to campus policy on animals on campus. Atkins follows the university policy on service animals. The owner of the service animal must maintain supervision and control of the service animal at all times while in the building.