Atkins has long had a community borrowers’ program through which local residents could borrow books and other physical materials, as well as access online resources while in our building. With the new Friends of Atkins Library program, community members receive those same borrowing privileges plus many other benefits and opportunities.
Community members are welcome between 7:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays; and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.
UNC Charlotte IDs are required from 7 p.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Friends of Atkins Library membership offers community members benefits beyond those provided to the public.* For an annual gift to Atkins Library of $49 or more, you will receive a membership card giving you access to:
- A selection of the best of popular literature and movies, which are available for check out and without waiting through a long hold list
- Borrowing Privileges: Up to six items for 21 days (seven days for DVDs) with two renewals
- In-building access to our extensive online resources
- Invitations to our events, receptions, and exhibits
- Library newsletters and annual reports
- Information about new initiatives
- Assistance from our librarians and staff
- Opportunities for free UNC Charlotte 49er football tickets
- Free parking at some events
- Recognition in the annual honor roll of Friends of Atkins Library.
To make your tax-deductible gift and receive membership in the Friends of Atkins Library program, visit UNC Charlotte Advancement’s Make a Gift web page and follow these instructions:
- Click on the Access & Opportunity box
- Click on Library
- Click the check-box to the left of Friends of Atkins Library
- Click on the Credit Card box on the right and make your payment
Then, on your next visit to Atkins Library, stop by the Circulation Desk on the first floor to pick up your Friends of Atkins Library membership card.
- Be prepared to show a picture ID for verification purposes.
- If you would like your card mailed to you, please call the Circulation Desk at 704-687-0494.
- The $49 or more contribution is a tax-deductible gift.
Those who visit the Circulation Desk to obtain borrowing privileges will be able to make a donation of $49 or more and will receive the Friends of Atkins Library card at that time.
Members will receive a renewal notice after 11 months.
Donations are deposited into the Friends of Atkins Library Fund, which helps support the Library and the work we do for students.
For Current Community Borrower Card Holders
When existing community borrowers renew their card, they will automatically become a Friend of Atkins Library with all the added benefits and perks, and their $49 fee will now be a $49 tax-deductible gift.
|MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY||DONATION||LENGTH OF MEMBERSHIP|
|Friend||$49 - $99 Membership Fee||1 year|
|Associate||$100 - $249||2 years|
|Patron||$250 - $499||3 years|
|Benefactor||$500 - $2,499||4 years|
|Atkins Society||$2,500 +||Lifetime|
Gifts over $49 a year provide general library support or can be designated for specific projects:
Support the purchase of research materials needed by students and faculty.
UNC Charlotte History Ebooks
Turn a previously-published book about UNC Charlotte into an open access ebook.
Life and Legacy Personal Histories
Preserve the spoken narratives of your friends or family.
Honor with Books
Celebrate a friend or relative with a gift to the permanent collection in an area of interest.
Rare Book Philanthropy
Help us purchase and preserve our rare books and materials for future generations of researchers.
Atkins Library Undergraduate Research Awards
Support one or more of the Atkins Library Undergraduate Research Awards given to student researchers as part of the annual Undergraduate Research Conference (URC) .
Support a masters student in Library and Information Science in a project-based summer fellowship at Atkins Library.
Student Employee Scholarship Endowment
Provide a scholarship award to an Atkins Library student employee.
Create a lasting legacy by naming a space in the library.
Endow a position to attract the best and brightest to lead Atkins Library and contribute to its success.
*General access to Atkins Library: The J. Murrey Atkins Library is partially supported by state funds and welcomes the public to enjoy a variety of services and resources within the building. The public may get help with research, use books and other materials in the building, and access scholarly articles and other resources through our designated guest computers. The public may also conduct research with our rare books and archives, which focus on the history of Charlotte.